A New Orleans car accident lawyer reveals what you should know
According to the National Safety Council (NSC), tens of thousands of car accidents, hundreds of deaths, and thousands of injuries occur every year in parking lots across the country. Researchers believe the number of accidents is even higher because many minor fender-benders are not reported to insurance companies.
Based on the sheer volume of vehicle and pedestrian traffic, mall and shopping center parking lots pose a greater risk during the holiday shopping season. People are more distracted than usual and tend to be focused more on their shopping than keeping a lookout for other motorists and pedestrians.
Why do accidents happen in parking lots?
Even under ordinary circumstances, parking lots are dangerous. A nationwide NSC poll found:
- 66% of drivers admit making phone calls.
- 63% said they program GPS systems.
- 56% commonly send and read texts.
- 52% regularly access social media.
- 50% often send or read emails.
- 49% take photos or watch videos.
Parking lot safety tips
Motorists are required to look out for other drivers, pedestrians, and cyclists when they're driving. That includes driving in a parking lot or parking garage. Above all, motorists need to stay alert.
The NSC cites the following parking lot safety tips:
- Slow down and obey posted signage.
- Stay in your lane just as you would on the road.
- Do not cut corners or drive across parking rows.
- Use your turn signals.
- Never assume a pedestrian sees you. It's your responsibility to yield to pedestrians in a parking lot.
- Watch for small children and parents with baby strollers.
- Be mindful of other vehicles and pedestrians at all times, especially when backing out of a parking space.
- Be wary of relying too much on technology. Look over your shoulder and check your mirrors, for example, instead of depending solely on a backup camera. Likewise, realize technology may not recognize motorcycles, smaller objects or people.
- Look out for poor pavement striping, potholes, cracks, debris, puddles, and snow.
- Park your vehicle in a well-lit area, if possible.
Talk to a car accident attorney if you've been injured in a parking lot
If you’ve been injured in a parking lot accident in New Orleans, you have the right to pursue compensation for your losses. Whether you were injured in a crash with another driver or hit by a car in a parking lot, you should know your legal rights and options.
In some cases, people are entitled to compensation following a slip, trip, and fall in a parking lot. These cases involve people being injured due to hazards that weren't addressed by a careless property owner or manager. The key takeaway is that regardless of how you were injured, you shouldn't have to pay for someone else's negligence—and an attorney can fight for the compensation you deserve.
At The Law Offices of John S. Williams, LLC, we have the knowledge, experience, and resources to handle every aspect of your claim. Led by attorney John S. Williams, we are dedicated to providing personal and professional legal services to clients in New Orleans.
To learn more about how we can help you, contact us today for a free consultation.