New Orleans Lyft And Uber Accident Lawyer
John S. Williams can fight for compensation for your rideshare crash
Ridesharing car companies like Uber and Lyft have become increasingly common in recent years, especially in popular tourist destinations like New Orleans. Unfortunately, car accidents caused by Uber or Lyft drivers have become increasingly common, as well. These accidents might seem like other types of car accidents, but rideshare accidents often turn out to be much more complicated.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a rideshare crash in New Orleans, car accident lawyer John S. Williams can help. Attorney Williams knows the challenges often facing injury victims. He has more than 15 years of legal experience dealing with serious car accidents. He thoroughly understands the laws governing Uber and Lyft accidents. He knows how the legal system works in New Orleans. Most important, he has the drive and the passion to put together the strongest possible legal case.
So whether you were driving your car, riding in an Uber or were a passenger in a car struck by a Lyft driver, you can count on The Law Offices of John S. Williams, LLC to demand the financial compensation you deserve after your car crash.
What should I do after my Lyft or Uber accident?
If you have been involved in a car crash caused by an Uber or Lyft driver, it’s important to take certain steps to protect your rights and your well-being, including:
- Contact the police – Tell the police you have been in car accident caused by a rideshare driver. Ask them to respond to your accident. By having an official accident report, you may have an easier time filing an accident claim for your crash.
- Seek medical attention – Even if you feel fine, make sure you have a medical professional examine you right away. If your accident happened several days ago, it’s still important to see a doctor. You could have a life-threatening internal injury.
- Take pictures of your crash – If it is safe to do so and you are healthy enough to do so, take pictures of your accident. Having pictures of your crash can be powerful evidence.
- Talk to witnesses – Many Uber and Lyft crashes in New Orleans occur in popular places filled with many people. If someone saw your accident, get their name and the best phone number to reach them. Also, ask the investigating police officer to talk to them. Eyewitness testimony can help build a strong legal case.
- Call your insurance company – Contact your insurance company and tell them what happened. However, keep your comments brief when you first call to report your accident. Anything you say or write can later be used as evidence.
- Contact Uber or Lyft – Each ridesharing company has its own procedures for dealing with accidents caused by their drivers. If you are not comfortable doing this, simply skip to the next step for help.
- Call a lawyer – The sooner you have an accident attorney working on your rideshare claim, the better. Dealing with these companies – and demanding the compensation you deserve – can be very complicated. An experienced rideshare accident lawyer can help you every step of the way.
Who is responsible for paying for my Lyft or Uber accident?
Several different people and companies may ultimately be responsible for compensating you for your ridesharing accident. These include:
- The rideshare driver who caused your accident
- The rideshare driver’s insurance company
- Uber or Lyft
- The insurance company representing Uber or Lyft
The key to determining who’s responsible for compensating you for your accident-related expenses depends on who was at fault. Sometimes, it’s the driver, who failed to uphold their “duty of care,” a legal term used to describe someone’s responsibility to keep other people safe. Other times, Uber or Lyft might also be to blame. This is especially true if either company knowingly hired a driver with a bad driving history or other problems that should have prevented the company from hiring the driver who caused your crash.
Whatever the circumstances of your crash, having a lawyer who works just for you can often make a big difference in the outcome of your case. That’s why it’s important to talk to attorney right away after your accident.
Can I sue Lyft or Uber for my rideshare accident?
The short answer? Yes, you may be able to file a lawsuit against Uber or Lyft for your accident-related expenses. These legal cases are often very complicated because Uber and Lyft often point out that their drivers are not employees. Instead, these rideshare companies insist that their drivers are independent contractors.
That doesn’t excuse Uber or Lyft of responsibility if one of their drivers caused your accident. In particular, you will likely need to prove that the driver was on duty at the time of your accident. In most cases, an Uber or Lyft driver is considered on duty if they are:
- Driving with a passenger
- Have the ridesharing app on
- Driving to pick up a passenger
- Looking up directions for a ridesharing journey
- Checking the ridesharing app about a prospective customer
Even then, there’s no guarantee that you can successfully sue a ridesharing company. Taking on multi-national corporations after a serious accident can be a challenge. That’s why it’s critical that you talk to an attorney right away if you’re considering filing a lawsuit in response to your New Orleans ridesharing accident.
Get the New Orleans law firm that will fight for justice for you. Contact us.
Don’t wait to take legal action after your New Orleans Lyft or Uber accident. Louisiana has one of the shortest deadlines – one year from the date of your accident – to file a lawsuit or take other legal action. Even then, the longer you wait to take legal action, the harder it often becomes to find the evidence you need to build the strongest possible legal case.
Demand the money you deserve. Contact our law firm and schedule your free case evaluation. New Orleans accident attorney John S. Williams understands the urgency of your case. He knows how to investigate rideshare accidents. Most importantly, he’s committed to fighting for justice after your accident. Schedule an appointment at our law firm.