New Orleans Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer
Attorney John S. Williams can fight for you after a DWI crash
Driving while intoxicated is against the law in Louisiana, like other states throughout the country. Even so, some drivers who have had too much to drink choose to get behind the wheel and end up causing drunk driving accidents with serious injuries. When that happens, it’s critical that injury victims and their families demand the financial compensation they deserve for their car accident.
New Orleans car accident lawyer John S. Williams can be your strong legal advocate for justice. Attorney Williams has more than 15 years of legal experienced dealing with different types of car accidents. He thoroughly understands how the legal process works in Louisiana. He knows how to find the facts that matter to build a strong accident claim. Most importantly, attorney Williams and his dedicated legal team at The Law Offices of John S. Williams are committed to fighting for justice and holding drunk drivers accountable for their actions.
What should I do if a drunk driver caused my DWI accident?
If you are involved in an accident caused by driver who was under influence of alcohol at the time of your crash, it’s important to take the following steps to protect your health and your rights, including:
- Call the police – Tell the police you believe your car accident was caused by someone under the influence of alcohol. The police should respond to your crash immediately.
- Seek medical attention – As soon as possible after your accident, have a medical professional examine you. Don’t try to diagnose yourself. Have a doctor or an EMT evaluate you. You could have a life-threatening injury and not even realize it.
- Wait in your car – If the driver clearly seems intoxicated, wait in your vehicle until the police arrive. You could put your safety at risk by talking to a clearly intoxicated driver.
- Take pictures – Once it is safe to do so, take pictures of your accident. Pictures can be important pieces of evidence in support of your car accident claim.
- Talk to witnesses – If someone saw your car crash, get their full name, their phone number and, if possible, their address. Ask them to talk to the police officer at the scene of the accident, as well. Eyewitness testimony can greatly improve your case.
- Contact your insurance company – Tell your insurance company you have been in a car accident caused by a drunk driver.
- Call a lawyer – Contact a car accident attorney near you as soon as possible. That way, you can learn more about the legal options available to you after your car crash.
We understand the urgency and the importance of drunk driving accidents at The Law Offices of John S. Williams. That’s why we want to meet with you at our New Orleans office or wherever is convenient for you. You have suffered enough, and we can help you demand the compensation you deserve.
How can a lawyer help me with my drunk driving accident claim?
You might think you don’t need a lawyer if a drunk driver clearly caused your accident. These cases often turn out to be very complicated. Sometimes, it’s because the drunk driver denies being intoxicated at the time of the crash. Other times, it’s because the drunk driver challenges the accuracy of the DWI tests conducted by police.
Having an accident attorney on your side can make sure your voice is heard loud and clear after your crash. Your lawyer can:
- Independently investigate your accident.
- Review the official police accident report for your crash to make sure it’s correct.
If applicable, track down the business that sold the alcohol to the drunk driver. (This is especially important if the driver was clearly intoxicated when they bought the alcohol and if your accident occurred soon after the alcohol purchase. In these cases, you may be able to take legal action against the business in what is known as a “dram shop claim.”)
- Negotiate with the at-fault driver’s insurance company on your behalf.
- File a car accident lawsuit on your behalf, if necessary.
- Represent you in any court proceedings related to your car accident.
New Orleans attorney John S. Williams understands what’s at stake. It’s not just about demanding the money you deserve. It’s about holding the drunk driver who caused your crash responsible. It’s about justice.
Get the New Orleans law firm that will fight for justice for you. Contact us.
You don’t have a long time to take legal action after your drunk driving accident. In Louisiana, there is a one-year deadline to file a file a lawsuit or take other legal action after your car crash. If you miss that deadline, you could miss out on your opportunity to obtain the financial compensation you need for your accident-related expenses.