New Orleans Slip and Fall Accident Lawyer
Attorney John S. Williams can demand the compensation you deserve
Slip, trip and fall accidents can happen in an instant. Without warning, you can fall and hurt yourself, whether it’s a head injury or spinal cord injury. Knowing what to do in these situations can be overwhelming. Even knowing what your rights are might not be clear. That’s why it’s critical that you talk with experienced slip and fall accident attorney who understands the law and knows what to do.
The Law Offices of John S. Williams in New Orleans can help you every step of the way. Founded by New Orleans slip and fall injury attorney John S. Williams, our law firm understand how the legal system works when it comes to premises liability cases involving slip and fall accidents. Attorney Williams has more than 15 years of legal experience. He has dedicated his life to fighting for justice for injury victims and their families.
When you come to our law firm, you can count on us to thoroughly investigate your slip and fall accident. We never take anything for granted. We’re prepared to do the work that needs to be done to get you compensation. We have a strong track record of success. We prepare each case as if we’re going to trial and leave nothing to chance.
What are common causes of slip and fall accidents?
Many slip and fall accidents happen because the property owner failed to take the necessary precautions to prevent such an accident from happening. Slip and fall accidents are among the most common premises liability accidents, a term used to describe personal injury accidents that occur on someone else’s property. Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Water left on the floor of a restaurant, bar, store or another public place. (Wet bathroom floor injuries are especially common)
- Objects (boxes, building materials, etc.) left on the floor or in a stairwell
- Missing handrails in a stairwell
- Broken steps on a staircase
- Poor lighting in a stairwell, parking lot or another public place
Property owners need to anticipate and address hazardous situations on their property. They can’t simply assume that people will know how to avoid these injuries. When property owners don’t fix, repair or clean up dangerous situations, they need to be held accountable when slip and fall accidents occur.
What are common injuries from slip and falls?
Slip and fall accidents often result in a very serious and sudden injuries that cause severe pain and discomfort, including:
- Head injuries, including traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Facial injuries, including chipped teeth and broken noses
- Broken hip bones
- Other broken bones or fractures
- Spinal cord injuries and other back injuries
- Lacerations and cuts to the arms, legs or face
- Soft tissue damage, including neck injuries
Slip and fall injuries are a serious matter. If something seems wrong after your slip and fall accident, seek immediate medical treatment. Then talk to an experienced slip and fall injury attorney right away. You shouldn’t have to pay for someone else’s mistakes.
What should I do after a slip and fall accident?
It’s important to take the following steps right away if you slipped, fell and hurt yourself on someone else’s property. If you are healthy enough to do so, take the following steps to protect your rights and your well-being:
- Seek immediate medical attention – If you are injured, stay where you are until medical help arrives. Do not try to stand up or walk around. You could end up aggravating your injury.
- Gather evidence – If possible, take pictures, or have someone take pictures of the place where your slip and fall accident occurred. If you slid and fell in water on the floor, it will be cleaned up quickly. That’s why it’s important to take pictures of the conditions that caused your accident.
- Follow your doctor’s advice – If a doctor has diagnosed your slip and fall injury, take their medical advice and focus on your recovery. If they advise you to rest for several days, take their advice. Make sure you attend follow-up appointments. Keep copies of your medical records, receipts and any record or pictures of your injury.
- Talk to an attorney – The sooner you can speak to a lawyer, the better. An experienced slip and fall attorney can start building your case while you take care of recovering from your injury.
How much is my slip and fall claim worth?
Your lawyer can help determine how much your injury claim could be worth. It’s important to understand that every slip and fall accident is different. Some may be worth several thousand dollars. Others may be worth millions of dollars. The difference can depend on several different factors, including:
- The severity of your slip and fall injury
- The extent of the medical care you need to treat your injury
- Whether the property owner knew about the hazardous situation that caused your injury
- How much time you need to recover from your injury
- Whether you can return to work after your accident
All these situations and scenarios need to be taken into consideration when determining the value of your slip and fall injury claim. An experienced attorney knows how to do this and can demand the maximum financial compensation you deserve.
Can I file a lawsuit for my slip and fall accident?
You have the right to file a slip and fall accident lawsuit in Louisiana. In many cases, this may be the best way to obtain the full financial compensation you need and deserve for your injury-related expenses.
In general, there are two reasons why injury victims often decide to file slip and fall lawsuit. First, the insurance company for the property owner may have denied the accident claim. Second, the insurance company made a lowball settlement offer and refuses to negotiate.
If you’re dealing with either one of these scenarios, a slip and fall accident attorney can help you file lawsuit and take the necessary legal action. Going to court to demand the compensation you deserve can be challenging. Fortunately, you’re not alone. We can help.
How much time do I have to file a lawsuit in Louisiana?
Louisiana has some of the shortest deadlines when it comes to taking legal action after a slip and fall injury accident. Specifically, you only have one year from the date of your accident to file a lawsuit or take other legal action. This deadline is known as the statute of limitations.
One year can fly by fast, especially if you’re recovering from the serious injury sustained in a slip and fall accident. That’s why it’s important to talk with an attorney as soon as possible after your accident. Your lawyer can investigate your accident and find the facts you need to build the strongest possible legal case.
Count on a lawyer you can trust after your slip and fall. Contact us.
Experience matters when it comes to choosing the right slip and fall injury lawyer. That’s why many people choose New Orleans attorney John S. Williams. He has dedicated his career to fighting for the rights of injury victims and demanding the compensation they deserve to rebuild their lives.